Wizard Creek Consulting
Wizard Creek Case Study: Training
Names of business units affected:
Description of the problem situation:
- The growing company was putting pressure on the Information Technology
organization to deliver more and more systems. The Information Technology
organization was rapidly hiring additional staff, but the learning curve for
the new staff was excessive, preventing the new staff from contributing
quickly enough to the organization.
Description of the steps used to resolve the problem:
- Analyzed the situation and determined that one of the major road blocks
to getting the new staff productive was their lack of knowledge of the
company and the Information Technology policies, standards, procedures, and
- Conducted a training needs assessment and generated training objectives.
- Created a training program for new hires to meet the objectives.
- Conducted the first training program and assured by testing the trainees
could meet the objectives.
- Monitored the trainees and validated they were productive much sooner
than none trainees.
- Developed the course material so it could be reused.
- Trained the client to deliver the courses and established a regularly
Description of the outcome:
- Client continued an aggressive hiring program and put all new hires
through the training program.
Description of the benefits realized by the client:
- Information Technology new hires were productive much sooner judged by
testing and performance.