Website Promotion - Links
How many links exist to your site from other sites? That
is your link popularity. Links are important for two reasons.
- They have the potential of bringing traffic to your site.
- Search engines, especially Google, use link popularity to help determine
a Website's importance.
Link Popularity is now used in some form by 19 of the top 20 search
There have been successful Search Engine Optimization campaigns
based sorely on links.
According to research from http://www.gatech.edu Georgia Tech,
85% of people find new sites through following a link - this compares to 87% for
search engines and 38% for email. So linking can be one of the best ways to
attract new business. According to the Seybold Group, 50% of Amazon's new
customers arrive through links from other sites.
What kind of links?
It is not just the number of links, it is the important of the
links which is based on quality and relevancy. The best links are from
quality sites that are relevant to your site.
- Quality of the site that is linking to yours - is it a
- Relevancy of the site that is linking to yours - is it a
What is a link?
A link (or hyperlink) is a reference from some point in one hypertext
document to a point in another document or another place in the same document.
A browser usually displays a hyperlink in some distinguishing style, font or color.
The link is activated with the user clicks the link with the mouse.
It is important how the the hyperlink itself is done.
Hyperlinks contain the link and text, called the anchor. The text is
important. All of these link to the same place
- Example 1:
- Example 2:
- Wizard Creek Consulting
- Example 3:
- Great Website Services
The Link Campaign
Build a quality website.
It is a long process to create link popularity, and it should
be defined and worked like any other marketing campaign.
Consider Links to be a business network
Links are the concrete way of finding ways to join a
community, of complementary services, industry publications, and industry groups.
- Partners, Associates, affiliates
- Articles, newsletters, ezines, news sites
- Blogs, list serves
- Reviewers, Trade Association
Submit on Internet Directories
Exchange Links with Partners and Associates.
"no site is an island"
- Exchanging links is establishing a business arrangement.
It is a business decision, not a link decision.
- Getting links is finding your place in the industry.
Finding what your industry offer as far as portals, newsletters, and
- Write articles, blogs, newsletters, ezines and letters
that reference your site. Articles build content on your web site, articles are
published on other sites with links back to your site, and articles present
you as the expert.
- Participate in forums and discussion groups. Use
URL in signature.
- Write a testimonial for someone else. Let them
include your testimonial if they include a link to your site.
- Sign Guestbook with Link
- Create an award program and give awards to other sites.
Sites must include link back in the award.
- Start an affiliate program.
- Consider Web Rings
Link Management Tools.